National Board for Health and Wellness Coaches (NBHWC)
Did you know?
The NBHWC and the National Board of Medical Examiners formed a partnership in May 2016 to launch the first-ever national board certification for health & wellness coaching. There are now over 5,000 National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coaches.
When can I apply to sit for the next exam to become a National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)?
There are 2 application windows yearly to take the exam during one of the 2 exam windows. The windows in 2022/2023 are:
- Applications due: December 1, 2022 - January 9, 2023 to sit for the exam in the Spring of 2023.
- Applications due: April 17, 2023 - May 11, 2023 to sit for the exam in the Summer of 2023.
- Applications due: August 14, 2023 - September 14, 2023 to sit for the exam in the Fall of 2023
This 4+ hour exam will be administered at more than 340 Prometric testing sites throughout the United States, and abroad. The exam cost in 2022 is $350.00 and will go up to $400.00 in 2023.
To apply to sit for the exam visit http://www.nbme.org/hwc/.
After I become board certified, what benefits will I receive?
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coaches receive these benefits:
• They can become a part of our NBC-HWC Directory created for people seeking a
qualified health & wellness coach.
• They are able to use the NBC-HWC logo to help them differentiate themselves
and highlight the fact that they are board certified in the profession.
• They can become a part of our private Facebook page specific for NBC-HWCs who would like to network with each other.
• They can attend Meet & Greets throughout the country, offered only for National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coaches.
• They may attend the NBHWC Quarterly Connects featuring industry experts and providing complimentary continuing education credits.
Why should I become a National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach?
National standards and certification are the first steps in advancing consistent training, education, and assessment of competencies. Acheiving this credential says to the world and employers that you have a tested level of competency and are one of the best Health Coaches in the country!